Thursday, May 28, 2015

Change is good.

I'm a bad blogger.  Rather, I'm a neglectful blogger.  I'd like to change that.  I enjoy sharing more than just a few words on Facebook or Twitter, so it's time to return to that.

The last couple months have brought many small, but highly significant, positive changes to the way I'm approaching my studio time, and breathing some life into this blog is part of that.  "They" say that acknowledging a problem is the first step to change, and I acknowledged that I became undisciplined about sharing and posting work online, updating my website, and many of the things that let all of you know that I'm still working as hard as a busy bee.  I put up all sorts of ridiculous emotional blocks to posting work (be it on my website, or simply in sharing pictures on social media), and that silly bashful outlook had to stop.  The tasks involved in website maintenance are probably my least favorite tasks in the land of self-employment (aside from doing taxes), so I avoided doing so.  That is not in the interest of maintaining a thriving life of a self-supporting artist.  It was time for some change.

The first step was bringing in help.  And as it does, synchronicity abounded.  A long time customer-turned-friend, AJ, mentioned she'd love to find some part-time work in the same week I was deciding to bring someone in to help.  She's just here with me a few hours a week, but those hours are beyond meaningful to me!  The time we schedule at the start of each week force a measure of accountability to having a nice handful of beads, marbles, and jewelry finished up, photographed, and ready to post.  AJ walks in, says hello to the dogs, and handles the rest.  We're a bit more than a month in, and I am so very grateful for her help.  It's simple, it works, and I'm thankful.  With pieces now being regularly posted to MZGlass, many other nice little changes have happened: I'm doing my morning pages again (Artist's Way tool), getting more time in the studio, finding more joy in sharing pics online of what I've made, and most importantly, feeling much better about my little slice of creative paradise.  The change is good.




No comments:

Post a Comment